Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Risotto as a Metaphor for Life

I made my first risotto last night, pictured here, with green garlic and leek from the farm coop. The recipe is here. Making risotto is not quite as fearsome as one often hears, but you do have to commit to about 30 minutes of very frequent stirring once you start. And you do need to mise en place. Seriously. You don't have time to chop, wash or prepare anything once the first cup of broth goes in, or at least I didn't. I served the risotto with some fresh red snapper sauteed in a little butter, seasoned only with salt and pepper. Hard to go too far wrong. Everybody took seconds.

I had a conversation this week with someone who told me about Janus the god of beginnings and endings, whose face looks both forward and backward. She related this to people entering middle age and coming to realize that not only do people die, but I will too, and looking to make sense of what has come before to make the best of what comes next. That sounds like a good idea.


I got to thinking about the nature of motivations. If I want to make a big change what is my motivation? To explore new challenges? To have more control of my future? To engage my brain a little more? Does destiny have a role? Or is it just about luck, and are they actually different?

I know I am supposed to blog about my visit in Germany with family. There is so much to tell there, it is hard to get started. Soon, soon...

No comments: