Monday, April 20, 2009

Life as a locavore



Here is the bag of vegetables from my farm coop last week: beets, leeks, carrots, artichokes, chard, fava beans, broccoli, apples and green garlic. This was the third week of the season, our first in a farm coop and I am starting to get the rhythm of it: pick up a huge bag of produce on Thursday after work, cook like a fiend for the next several days trying to use as many ingredients as possible each night, start casting about for unsuspecting neighbors to palm off any remaining veggies that I either couldn't figure out what to do with or we didn't like, clean out the fridge by Thursday and start the process all over again. One change is already in place: we are eating out a lot less. Which is kind of a bummer because I liked going to the local Indian restaurant on Thursday night after everything was done - Thursday is kind of like a Friday for me because I work from home on Fridays - but now I think about all this minutes-from-the-ground produce aging in my refrigerator, and so I cook instead. Lucky for me, the Minimalist (Mark Bittman of the New York Times) has been writing about the same foods so I've had a new source of recipes. Last night I made his carrot, spinach and rice stew, adding green garlic and cup-up chicken thighs, and heated up some roti for bread - absolutely delicious.


A couple of weeks ago Passover sort of snuck up on us, like everything seems to these days. All of a sudden I realized we hadn't planned anything, so I hastily prepared the ceremonial foods (from my farm coop bag, natch) and invited one of Rob's constantly hungry riding partners and managed with some help from Sean to get the entire meal on the table in about 2 hours - blazing speed for a Seder. I used Sydnee's homemade Seder plate, here.

No comments: