Monday, January 12, 2009

Looking for a Silver Lining

My notes for this week's entry carried a theme of relationship. As I get older I've learned to recognize that companies don't do business with each other - people and relationships do. Sometimes when I go back to a company that I enjoyed working with before, I find that the next experience can be markedly different - and sometimes poorer - and it is all because of the people. More and more in recent years I've invested in relationships with the people with whom I do business, relationships that in my younger days I would have taken for granted, because I find it is those relationships that not only make the job more enjoyable, but also get you through the tough times. I have been in the clinical research business a long time - there is not much exciting about doing new studies anymore. On the other hand, building relationships and networks with great people makes doing the same job more interesting.

None of us is irreplaceable; whenever someone leaves, it almost always creates an opportunity for someone else to grow into their own potential. And I have always believed that people should do what they need to do and are never indebted to their employer or me or anyone else. Still it is hard to say goodbye sometimes.

No comments: